All technology has its advantages and drawbacks; while smart meters have their benefits, they also present challenges to electric utilities, customers, and the environment.
Smart meters present these challenges to the electric company...
- Transitioning to new technology and processes
- Managing public reaction and customer acceptance of the new meters
- Making a long-term financial commitment to the new metering technology and related software
- Managing and storing vast quantities of metering data
- Ensuring the security of metering data
Smart meters pose these challenges to consumers...
- Verifying that the new meter is accurate
- Protecting the privacy of their personal data
- Paying additional fees for the new meter
Smart meters pose these challenges to the environment...
- If consumers continue to use more and more electricity, it would negate the projected environmental benefits
- Disposal of the old meters