Energy Industry Trends
- Energy Efficiency and Alternative Vehicles
- Modernizing the Electric Grid
- Integrating Multiple Energy Resources
Energy Efficiency and Alternative Vehicles
Reducing consumption brings the best return on energy investments, say experts. Meanwhile, a new generation of transportation is arriving. Hybrids run on multiple fuel or power sources; electric cars (also known as electric vehicles, or EVs) run entirely on electricity stored in batteries.
- Driving toward fuel efficiency
- 3 ways to encourage energy conservation
- High school students convert vehicles to electric power
- 3 best certifications for energy auditors
- DoD supports biofuel and other renewables
- Scorecard for hybrid vehicles
Modernizing the Electric Grid
Electric networks are being transformed into "smart grids" through digital automation and electronics, such as smart meters.
- 3 big changes underway for bulk electric transmission
- What is a smart grid?
- 5 smart grid pilot programs
- Will smart grids revolutionize the energy business?
- 9 technologies that enable smart grids
- Pros and cons of smart meters
Integrating Multiple Energy Resources
The energy industry is finding ways to connect and integrate diverse power sources across large and small networks.
- What is energy integration?
- Energy integration is key to reliable renewables
- 6 grant-funded energy integration projects
- SuperStation to break the renewable power gridlock
- Best practices for wind energy integration
Natural Gas Shale Drilling Boom
Drillers are tapping natural gas from the Barnett Shale, Marcellus Shale, Haynesville Shale, and other domestic reserves.
- 5 types of natural gas pipelines
- Protecting air and water during shale gas production
- Protecting land, workers, and communities during shale gas production
Jobs, Careers, and Training
The industry needs workers in power generation, transmission, distribution, delivery, research, government regulation, and more. Attending training and professional conferences can help you maintain expertise and network in your field.
- 6 mid-level green energy careers
- 3 top certifications for a qualified energy auditor
- Job boards for the energy industry
- What happens to jobs without fossil fuels?
- Get into energy careers
Funding and Financing
Money drives energy development, technology commercialization, and adoption in the marketplace.